mardi 15 février 2011

Periods 2 & 3 To What Piece of Technology Would You Write a ‘Love Letter’?

To What Piece of Technology Would You Write a ‘Love Letter’?

In “A Love Letter to a Camera,” David Pogue writes:
I don’t often write love letters to gadgets. But you, you’re something special.
Truth is, I’ve been searching for someone like you for years.
See, I love the huge light sensor that’s inside an SLR. It can take sharp low-light shots without the flash. It can blur the background the way professionals do.
I just don’t like how an SLR is big and heavy and obtrusive.
What I’ve always wanted is a little camera with a big sensor. Is that so hard?
Apparently, yes. The problem is covering a rectangular sensor chip with a circle of light from the lens. Bigger sensor? You need a bigger camera. Those are the simple bylaws of physics.
But you, oh, cute little Canon PowerShot S95! I love that you’re a pocket camera, only 3.9 by 2.3 by 1.2 inches. I love your big, bright, three-inch screen, your built-in flash, your H.D.M.I. output for hi-def TV sets. I love that you turn on directly into Playback mode, without having to extend the lens.
Students: Try your hand at writing a similar “love letter” to the piece of technology that means the most to you, whether it’s an iPod you own or a computer, television, camera, or cellphone you covet. Like David Pogue does, address the device directly and describe the details that make it “something special” to you. (You needn’t write about the tech specifics of the device unless you want to; instead, you might concentrate on how this device improves, or could improve, your life.)

 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Remarque : Seul un membre de ce blog est autorisé à enregistrer un commentaire.