vendredi 11 février 2011

Creative Writing February 14, 2011

The dinner, when you introduced your date to your parents, did not go well.  Your parents have told you that you may not see that person nor bring him/her to the house ever again.  You have decided to write your date a letter explaining why you have to go along with your parents wishes.  In a letter of between 150 and 250 words, explain to your date why you have to obey your parents.  The assignment is due on Tuesday and should be typed and emailed by Wednesday, February 16- a little late for St. Valentine's Day!


In 1966 the subject of interracial romance was considered "taboo" among most middle class white families in the US.  Janis Ian broke the taboo with a song she composed while 13 years old.   "Society's Child" stirred up a storm of controversy in 1967. Its themes of interracial love and adult hypocrisy caused it to be banned by many radio stations. In Louisiana, one deejay was actually murdered for playing it on the air. [source]

Janis Ian - Earthshaking song that broke the silence

JANIS IAN
"Society's Child"

Come to my door, baby,
Face is clean and shining black as night.
My mother went to answer you know
That you looked so fine.
Now I could understand your tears and your shame,
She called you "boy" instead of your name.
When she wouldn't let you inside,
When she turned and said
"But honey, he's not our kind."
She says
I can't see you any more, baby,
Can't see you anymore.
Walk me down to school, baby,
Everybody's acting deaf and dumb.
Until they turn and say, "Why don't you stick to your own kind."
My teachers all laugh, the smirking stares,
Cutting deep down in our affairs.
Preachers of equality,
Think they believe it, then why won't they just let us be?
They say I can't see you anymore baby,
Can't see you anymore.
One of these days I'm gonna stop my listening
Gonna raise my head up high.
One of these days I'm gonna raise up my glistening wings and fly.
But that day will have to wait for a while.
Baby I'm only society's child.
When we're older things may change,
But for now this is the way, they must remain.
I say I can't see you anymore baby,
Can't see you anymore.
No, I don't want to see you anymore, baby.


About the artist and the song

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Remarque : Seul un membre de ce blog est autorisé à enregistrer un commentaire.